Dec 15, 2014

Future of the League



Gents, as the longtime Commissioner of the League, it is time to address the State of the League and the Future.  This is the longest running, in terms of low turnover, league, I know about, and I realize it means a lot to all of us as a means of “staying in touch.”   

And I love college football from the view of fantasy.

But the current format is a dinosaur and it is over; the current format is not functioning properly as intended by the league constitution.  I realize it’s a cheap league—as was always the plan—but in a way, that encourages apathy do to the nature of the league.  And it should be noted that one dean doesn’t have the bandwidth for the league in its current form anymore.

The Commish is reluctant but willing to keep on keeping on, minus one team—at least one more year, but he also thinks it is time to let the flavor of the day take over.  I have several ideas to try to put the future of the league on a firmer footing.

1)      Draftkings: Commish will Maintain a head to head schedule, total points, divisions, playoffs, bowl games/or just pure total points by scores on draftkings that will run on top 3 paid week to week tournaments.  Sept. would be cheap $5 per week, and the Jam would be $10, winner take all.  Then back to $5.  Alternatively, each Dean could host a week, and set the payout and buy in (max. lets say $10 with a more generous number of winners, vs smaller entry, higher payout for winner.)  Quite simply, the interface for day fantasy football is better then anything we can do and will reignite the league alone.
2)      Paid Commish service.  We’ll have to adopt some minor version of performance points and revisit our retention rules and waiver wire.  I don’t see this as a means of getting Deans excited again, but the interface has to be better.  Watching real time scoring for performance points is outstanding.
3)      Keep on, Keeping on…Expand rosters, drop red shirt, and eliminate trades after Week 1.---if keeping our current add/drop, no retention.  Keeping in mind, the Tecmo division is down a team.

Back to Draftkings—part of my thinking is that we could invite people no longer playing our league to play for a weekend, and have our chat and blog. We once had a very good Texas Hold-em game...

10 comments:

Brian Seidman said...

I'm all for continuing the league as close to its current form as possible, and am happy to pay for a site to help mitigate the time needed for the commish to manage. This league needs to continue in perpetuity!

Rooster Nation said...

The Roosters agree with the D'Inc on continuing in the in the current format, or close to it. I am not a fan of the Draftking format yet.

Some suggestions:

Relax injury replacement rules- create a couple of IR slots for season long injuries where the team keeps retention rights of drafted player and can add their backup to the active roster for current season.

Use a paid commish service, this makes sense and will allow for yardage points.

Find a replacement for the Frase. We have 9 months. Reach out to some of the former league members, perhaps Gaudet tourney participants, I also reconnected with Sama a couple of weeks ago. We have some options.

Keep testing draftkings with weekly CFFL options.

Rooster Nation said...


Another idea - changing the payout structure. Wins = $5 or $10, bonuses for weekly high scores. This would give teams out of contention motivation to keep competing.

Ales Football said...

Dean Seidman;

It's not just a "time" issue for me, but the dinosaur nature. We did TD only scoring for no other reason then it was the only way a person could handle it.

Performance points scored in real time as with Draftkings et al I do think make the league better and I believe the Commish products would allow us to modernize the game for a phone or tablet, or just the good old PC or laptop.

Sign up for DK and lets do a free tournie so you can see what I mean.

http://www.fantrax.com/ is what I was looking at. They have free and paid models.

When you lose points for a rushing loss or an INT, and see it in real time, across the league, I just think we end up with a better game/tv viewing experience. We really can root against every play with existing technology.

Unknown said...

My preference is similar to Porter and Seidman. I'm cool with changing up the structure a bit, but do not want to full commit to a specific site. Perhaps for the Jam this year, we can do a Draftkings week and test the water a bit.

Ales Football said...

I get that Dean Sullivan, but Google Spreadsheets are not working. Porter volunteered a lot of time in 2013 to generate real time scoring system, but that doesn't compete with the tech out there that can incorporate performance points--in real time as it happens.

I have to still copy n paste line-ups to Google Sheets because people won't do it on their own--which is fine, that isn't my point--but that tells me it's a temporary solution.

I appreciate we started with dial-up, a static web page, and e-mail (and that was brutal in retrospect but I didn't care) and now we have a blog and google sheets (all free) but there is this whole other world.

Sign up for DK, don't make a deposit, and lets do a tournie--say New Years Day only, nothing on the line. Just send me your handle.

HUB said...

I'll sign up and try one of the DK type programs, but one of the things I've always liked about our league (and one of the more unique aspects) is that it is TD only scoring. Performance scoring would change the nature of the league fundamentally. My two cents, but open minded to exploration.

Ales Football said...

Dean Hubbard;

Tis a fair point. But for the amount of time still given to this game that I love--and I mean specifically, college fantasy football, where study actually pays off over years, let alone the residual effect of alumni in the NFL, there is new technology I would like the league to expose itself to and envision a future, 10 years from now.

Send me your handle for Draftkings, Dean Hubbard.

B. Smith said...

Dean Bowen,

The brilliance of our TD only format is simplicity and comic value. I'd like to retain the current structure, relax injury rules and retention rules, and maybe pay for a commish so you're not taxed with your time. Being back sama!!

Ales Football said...

It is not the time to maintain a TD only league that concerns the commish--if roster maintenance is a bore--its the league purpose which was TD only, simply because it was all a Commish could reasonably do when we started.

If we are going to attract replacement deans and so forth, we will need firmer footing.

As to the novelty of TD only, I don't buy that anymore. If you get the Melvin Gordon, or the Amir, you should get the bonus--the landscape is changing. There was a time when Lee Suggs scored 30 TDs and there was real differential, now everything is a lot closer--performance points add a real dimension, to say nothing of new tech which make the experience that much better.

I have no exact answer, but I do know, the Saturday Afternoon/Evening Chatroom, the week day broadcast, are things behind us, not in front. I respect those years and love them, but a new novelty is required.